What is The Code?
The Tomorrow’s Engineers Code is a commitment to work toward common goals, to increase the number and diversity of young people entering engineering careers.
How do we achieve this?
To achieve these goals, Signatories make 4 pledges about their approach to funding, designing, delivering, and learning from engineering-inspiration outreach activities and programmes.
Signatories from The Code include engineering firms, professional institutions, government departments, subject associations, universities, museums, third sector organisations and more.
Any organisation with UK operations that funds, designs and/or delivers engineering outreach activities is invited to become a Signatory and it’s free to join. Any organisation not meeting this criteria, but supports the aims of The Code can join as a Supporter.
Find out the impact Signatories reported The Code has had on their engineering outreach activities.
By working together we can improve the quality, inclusivity, targeting and reach of activities designed to inspire young people.
Why do we need The Code?
The engineering workforce could and should be much more diverse, for example:
- Women make up just 16.5% of the engineering workforce
- 37% of Black engineering graduates are working in engineering 6 months after graduation, compared to 41% of Asian engineering graduates and 60% of White engineering graduates
- 9% of engineering and technology students are disabled, compared with the average of 14%.
Engineering is a varied, stimulating, and valuable career. We need to work harder than ever to ensure that engineering is accessible for this generation of young people, for their own life chances and for a diverse and insightful workforce that enables the UK to thrive.
Many organisations are already doing important work but together, via The Code, we can deliver a joined-up approach to drive change at scale.
Why you should join The Code?
By joining The Code you will become part of our community of over 200 organisations, working together to inspire more and more diverse young people into engineering careers.
As a member of The Code member you will get:
- Support with improving your outreach work using The 4 pledges of The Code
- Opportunities to learn and share best practice with others via our workshop programme and resources on Tomorrow's Engineers
- Access to Code Connect (coming soon!) where you will be able to search find and link up with likeminded organisations
You can see the full list of Signatory benefits here.