Through The Code we aim to improve the quality, inclusivity, targeting and reach of activities designed to inspire young people into engineering. We will be delivering a series of collaborative workshops with the Community to support with improving our collective knowledge and understanding and to maximise impact.
Previous Code Community workshop topics include:
- The Gatsby Benchmarks in practice
- Inspiring Young People on environmental sustainability in engineering
- Applying an impact framework to engineering outreach
- Virtual work experience: sharing best practice
- The Skills Builder Partnership: Ensuring that the future workforce have the essential skills to succeed
- Reaching underrepresented groups in engineering outreach programmes
- How to talk about engineering careers with young people
- Harnessing the power of employees as engineering outreach volunteers
Top tips for delivering engineering outreach in primary
Lucy Owen, Education Manager of FIRST LEGO League at the Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET), will share top tips for providers looking to deliver engineering outreach programmes in primary schools. Lucy has worked in many different education settings and will draw from her experience to share best practice on how to engage with primary students about engineering, what works for different ages, and what teachers need from an outreach provider. We will also hear from other guests who will share their own stories of working with younger students, and there will be time for a Q&A with our speakers.
When: Tuesday 28th June 11.00am-12.00pm, on Microsoft Teams
Making your outreach more accessible to disabled young people
Emma Diserens, EUK's Head of Equality Diversity and Inclusion, will share advice on making your outreach more accessible to everyone, including disabled young people or those with a special educational need. This session will give you confidence in addressing special needs and will cover tangible tips for setting up the venue, presenting, and adapting content.
When: Tuesday 5th July 11.00am – 12.00pm, on Microsoft Teams
Code members will receive an invite to the workshops via email.