Ensure all young people have opportunities to engage in engineering-inspiration activities and no one is left behind.
Why this pledge matters:
Delivery of widespread, diverse, and inclusive activities across the UK ensures that more and more diverse young people have the opportunity to benefit from impactful activities. We need to prioritise the funding, creation, and delivery of activities to under-represented groups in engineering.
Ambition of the pledge
For all young people to participate in impactful engineering-inspiration activities regardless of gender, ethnicity, socio-economic background, prior attainment or location.
To meet this pledge you should:
- show your activities are inclusive for groups currently under-represented in engineering
- understand the scale of activities in your region using Code Connect (coming soon!) and consider targeting young people who are under-represented in engineering
Ways you could meet the pledge:
- Use the EngineeringUK EDI Criteria to help target your activities to schools that are likely to have the highest proportion of young people from under-represented groups in engineering
- Clearly identify the under-represented groups your activities are designed for
- Share with Signatories, how you adapted your activities and decided which groups of young people to target in a case study
- Seek expert advice when designing or refreshing your activity
- Clearly link to the relevant curriculum and careers provision for your region - such as the Gatsby benchmarks in England
- Depending on the scale of your activity, improve the targeting of activities to young people and prioritise to those who don’t interact with engineering-inspiration activities
- Talk with others and find out more by discussing trends in activity delivery across the UK with EngineeringUK, STEM Learning, the Careers and Enterprise Company and Education Scotland, for example
Resources that can help you with this pledge: