Ensure programmes contribute to a sustained and rich STEM journey for all young people.
Why this pledge matters:
The more real-world STEM-related experiences a young person has, the more likely they will feel more comfortable with STEM and its application to the real-word and future career opportunities.
Ambition of the pledge:
See all children and young people experience a rich variety of connected engineering experiences.
To meet this pledge you should:
- Articulate your activities’ purpose and intended audience
- Understand how your activity relates to the real-world
- Create a rich and varied STEM experience
- Signpost to other inspiring activities
Ways you could meet the pledge:
- Work with fellow Signatories to develop a sustained package of engagement activities for young people
- Make sure others know what you’re doing by adding your activities to platforms such as Neon
- Have a good understanding of what others are doing before launching new programmes through Code Connect
- Adding value to existing programmes by improving them and avoiding duplication of effort
- Only fund an activity if, to the best of your understanding, it delivers an impact to your identified audience
- Consider funding an existing activity through a partnership with another Signatory of the Code
Resources that can help you with this pledge:
Implementing co-ordinated STEM engagement in schools
Paper from Everfi to explore how schools are currently working to provide a more sustained engagement with STEM activities and inspiration.
- Use Code Connect to learn about and connect with other Signatories
Look at Neon to see what other programmes are out there and to share your own
UCL's list of books for introducing and inspiring young people to engineering and STEM.
Online discussion between Energy & Utility Skills and SSE about bringing employers together in The Code
Online discussion between Maritime UK and BAE Systems Maritime talking about working together to address the maritime sector's workforce needs
Case study of how SSE addressed the inspiring connection pledge
Case study of how Aldermans Tooling addressed the inspiring connection pledge
Download and use resources on careers for use with students from Neon
My World, My Future resource from Neon with links to STEM inspiration content for young people